(For both General and Technical/Professional Cadres)
This paper is designed to cover various issues/topics concerning Bangladesh affairs which include history, geography, environment, society, culture, economy and politics. The topics/areas that should be covered are stated below:
- Geography of Bangladesh that should include topographical features of different areas/regions
and their developments over time.
- Demographic features including ethnic and cultural diversity.
- History and culture of Bangladesh from ancient to recent times.
- Economy, society, literature and culture of Bangladesh with particular emphasis on developments including Poverty Alleviation, Vision-2021, GNP, NNP, GDP etc. after the emergence of the country.
- Bangladesh’s environment and nature and challenges and prospects with particular emphasis on
conservation, preservation and sustainability.
- Natural resources of Bangladesh with focus on their sustainable harnessing and management.
- The Constitution of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh: Preamble, Features, Directive , Principles of State Policy, Constitutional Amendments.
- Organs of the Government:
- Legislature: Representation, Law-making, Financial and Oversight functions; Rules of Procedure, Gender Issues, Caucuses, Parliament Secretariat.
- Executive: Chief and Real executive e.g., President and Prime Minister, Powers and Functions; Cabinet, Council of Ministers, Rules of Business, Bureaucracy, Secretariat, Law enforcing agencies; Administrative setup- National and Local Government structures, Decentralization Programmes and Local Level Planning
- Judiciary: Structure: Supreme, High and other Subordinate Courts, Organization, Powers
and functions of the Supreme Court, Appointment, Tenure and Removal of Judges, Organization of Subordinate Courts, Separation of Judiciary from the Executive, Judicial Review, Adjudication, Gram Adalat, Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR).
- Foreign Policy and External Relations of Bangladesh:
Goals, Determinants and policy formulation process; Factors of National Power; Security Strategies; Geo-Politics and Environment Issues; Economic Diplomacy; Man-power exploitation, Participation in International Organizations; UNO and UN Peace Keeping Missions, NAM, SAARC, OIC, BIMSTEC, D-8 etc, and International Economic Institutions,
Foreign Aid, International Trade.
- Political Parties: Historical development; Leadership; Social Bases; Structure; Ideology and
Programmes; Factionalism; Politics of Alliances; Inter and Intra-Party Relations; Electoral Behaviour; Parties in Government and Opposition.
- Elections in Bangladesh. Management of Electoral Politics: Role of the Election Commission; Electoral Law; Campaigns; Representation of People’s Order (RPO); Election Observation Teams.
- Contemporary Communication; ICT, Role of Media; Right to Information (RTI), and E-Governance.
- Non-formal Institutions; Role of Civil Society; Interest Groups; and NGOs in Bangladesh.
- Globalization and Bangladesh: Economic and Political Dimensions; Roles of the WTO, World Bank, IMF, ADB, IDB and other development partners and Multi National Corporations (MNCs).
- Gender issues and Developme nt in Bangladesh.
- The Liberation War and its Background: Language Movement 1952, 1954 Election, Six-Point Movement, 1966, Mass Upsurge 1968-69, General Elections 1970, Non-cooperation Movement, 1971, Bangabandhu’s Historic Speech of 7th March. Formation and Functions of Mujibnagar government, Role of Major Powers and of the UN, Surrender of Pakistani Army, Bangabandhu’s return to liberated Bangladesh. Withdrawal of Indian armed forces from Bangladesh.